Date: Sunday, November 28
Venue: Lansdowne Road
The delayed announcement of the Irish team was made today in Dublin.
Sunday will see the return of Leicester captain Geordan Murphy at fullback to replace the injured Rob Kearney. Other notable changes are Sean Cronin replacing the injured Rory Best, scrum-half Peter Stringer in for Eoin Reddan and finally Tony Buckley replacing Tom Court at tighthead prop.
There’s no change at centre for Ireland, whilst on the wing Andrew Trimble returns to the starting XV replacing Luke Fitzgerald who picked up a knee injury against New Zealand.
The half-back pairing of Stringer and Sexton is something that a lot of commentators have been calling for, and it’s a good indication that Ireland will try to play a fast dynamic game.
Disappointment so it seems for Leinster’s Mike Ross and Sean O’Brien. Ross didn’t get selected at all throughout the Autumn series despite Ireland struggling in the scrum. Sean O’Brien got a start against Samoa but failed to impress enough to deserve a spot on the bench for either the All-Black or Argentina games.
Argentinian captain, Felipe Contepomi returns to Dublin to face some of his ex-Leinster team mates, although one of the key battles on Sunday will be in the front row. Argentina bring the vastly experienced trio of Roncero, Ledesma and Scelzo to face-off against the relatively young front row of Healy, Cronin and Buckley.
Ireland will be looking to get the ball out of the back of the scrum as fast as possible and into the hands of their backs. The weather set to be crisp and dry, so this should suit their game-plan.
Prediction: Ireland by 12
Ireland Team and Replacements:
15. Geordan Murphy (Leicester)
14. Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13. Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12. Gordon D’Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11. Andrew Trimble(Ballymena/Ulster)
10. Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
9. Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2. Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)
3. Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster)
4. Donncha O’Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5. Mick O’Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
6. Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7. David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8. Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
16. Damien Varley(Munster)
17. Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
18. Devin Toner(Lansdowne/Leinster)
19. Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20. Eoin Reddan(Lansdowne/Leinster)
21. Ronan O’Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22. Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster)
Argentina Team and Replacements:
15. Martin Rodriguez (Stade Francais)
14. Horacio Agulla (Leicester Tigers)
13. Gonzalo Tiesi (Stade Francis)
12. Marcelo Bosch (Biarritz Olympique)
11. Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino (Leicester Tigers)
10. Felipe Contepomi (Toulon) (capt)
9. Nicolas Vergallo (Toulouse)
1. Rodrigo Roncero (Stade Francais)
2. Mario Ledesma (Clermont Auvergne)
3. Martin Scelzo (Clermont Auvergne)
4. Mariano Galarza (Leinster)
5. Patricio Albacete (Toulouse)
6. Genaro Fessia (Cordoba Athletic)
7. Julio Farias Cabello (Tucuman)
8. Juan Fernandez Lobbe (Toulon)
16. Agustin Creevy (Clermont Auvergne)
17. Marcos Ayerza (Leicester Tigers)
18. Juan Figallo (Montpellier)
19. Santiago Guzman (Tucuman)
20. Alvaro Galindo (Racing Metro 92)
21. Alfredo Lalanne (London Irish)
22. Lucas Borges (Albi)