Here’s the team I would like to see lining up against the All Blacks and staring down the Haka.
1. Sheridan (if fit)
2. Hartley (we need a big hooker, not another centre/wing where Mears always pops up)
3. Stevens (if only he could play like he does for Bath)
4. Shaw(Borthwick must have played his last game)
5. Kay (preferred to Palmer if they won’t bring Kennedy back)
6. Haskell (best player against the Boks)
7. Rees (best 7 we have)
8. Crane (could offer much more than Easter)
9. Ellis (to reunite the Leicester halfbacks)
10. Flood (never thought I’d say it)
11. Lewsey (Sackey has not impressed this autumn)
12. Flutey (if he’s fit)
13. Armitage (one bright spark for England, let’s try him at 13)
14. Monye (could be his last chance as well)
15. Tait (is he fit?)
This completely goes against what I’ve said previously about ensuring continuity of selection, but there comes a point when you have to do something with a team that is performing such a long way from their best.
We’ll find out at lunchtime today how far Johnno will go.