Christmas will soon be upon us, so this week’s From the Archives feature is a cracking (excuse the pun) XV of festive favourites. Enjoy!
We have a festive Fantasy XV this week, and it’s a pretty strong side with a healthy balance of power and pace – let us know what you think.
The Snowman: “from the Thomas Waldrom school of Number 8s”
1. Frosty – this snowman is ice cold in the scrum, with the bulk that can give the modern day loosehead the edge in the modern game.
2. Santa’s Elf – low centre of gravity, and a great ally to the tighthead prop.
3. Santa Claus – unquestionable ballast in the scrum, and an incredible ability to get around quickly. Always gets the job done.
4. Rudolph – the soaring red nose will offer a great target in the lineout, and those antlers should help to fend off tacklers in the loose.
5. The Grinch – strong in the lineout, but can get a little negative in team talks – needs to work on team spirit.
6. Ghost of Christmas Past – an enforcer, and a real menace at the breakdown that always makes you wish you’d done things differently afterwards.
7. Scrooge – won’t give anything away at the breakdown, and will snaffle all the possession he can. Beginning to learn the value of teamwork as well.
8. The Snowman – a big old unit, solid at the base of the scrum, whilst still being a bit of a flyer. A player from the Thomas Waldrom school of Number 8s.
9. Santa’s Little Helper – ideal stature for scrum-half with good ball delivery, and he’s nippy around the breakdown.
10. Jesus – the big man himself has to dictate play from the key position. Impressive hands, elusive enough to evade defenders, and has the composure to keep control under pressure. The guiding light of the side.
11. The Holy Spirit – literally gets everywhere on the pitch and will be a potent attacking threat on the wing.
12. Blitzen – If this reindeer lives up to his name, he could be a real nuisance in an up-and-out defensive system.
13. Jack Frost – nippy in the loose, and a real ice hard asset in defence. Has a tendency to go missing in Summer games, but an everpresent in the side in the winter.
14. Dasher – another representative from the reindeer squad. Dasher by name…
15. Mrs Claus – the old adage of ‘behind every great man is a great woman’ couldn’t be more apt. Offers control at the back and doesn’t mind letting others steal the limelight.